Monday, December 29, 2014

2014 Stuff I Liked: Music

I created this blog to use for basically anything and everything that I fangirl over, including TV, music, movies, books, whatever.  But I find that at any given moment, I only have enough time and energy to actually write about one thing I'm currently fangirling at a time.  I do Covert Affairs reviews over at GeekFurious that real people actually read and care about, which means I can't slack off on it.  So when I'm doing those every week, I don't have time for much else other than my day job and my actual life haha.

But Covert's season ended about a week and a half ago, which is good timing, because now I can do a couple posts about the stuff I fangirled in 2014.  I've never done one of these before, because I always feel like I can't make a "Top 10 Best" of anything, since I don't have time to actually see ALL movies, or buy ALL albums, or watch the hundreds of TV shows that are on the air and streaming simultaneously these days.  So instead I'm just going to do "Stuff I Liked," which just covers whatever I could actually get my grubby paws on this year.

This post will cover music.  So let's get to it.

Stuff I Loved in 2014


Deafheaven - Sunbather


I liken the listening experience of this album to attempting to hug/cuddle a beautiful fuzzy adorable kitten, while said kitten psychotically tries to scratch your face off.  I own a good number of albums that cannot physically be taken in all at once, in just one listening experience, due to the sheer punishment on your ears.  So that in itself is nothing out of the ordinary, but what this album has that most others don't is that fuzzy kitten it's using to deliver that brutal brutal pummeling to your brain.  It's just so ... pretty ... and evil ... all at once.  I literally cannot listen to more than 2 songs at a time hahah.  But I love it and it's a great album to put on when I'm feeling pissed off or frustrated or just kinda emo.

Sun Kil Moon - Benji


If I want my commute to work in the morning to leave me in tears by the time I arrive at the office, all I have to do is put on Benji in the car.  I have to admit that Sun Kil Moon (which is essentially Mark Kozelek and band), despite having been around since 2002 and releasing several great albums during that time, completely escaped me until this year.  I don't know how or why, but I'm extremely glad I finally discovered them.  Kozelek's lyrics are some of the weirdest, most on-the-nose lyrics I've ever heard, particularly on Benji, but that's part of what I love about him.  It's completely jarring at first and then pulls you in quickly.  Just one example of some of his lyrics:

Laid on my bed, too hung, a little down, a little tired
Met my girl and we walked down Union Street
I was scared and my head was in a bunch of places
Bought a 350 dollar pair of lampshades
And we ate at Perry's and I ordered crab cakes

Blue crab cakes
Blue crab cakes
Blue crab cakes
 

The next chorus after that repeats the phrase "Sports bar shit."  He's got a song called "I Love My Dad" (about why he loves his dad) and another couple that are about two family members burning themselves to death in freak accidents.  And they are really really sad.  In other words, this album is amazing.

Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else


I like Cloud Nothings' last album, Attack on Memory, pretty well.  But these guys didn't fully grab me until this year's Here and Nowhere Else.  It's got a lot more pep in its step.  It's more punky and just more fun.  And then the lyrics:

It's over now, there's a way I was before
But I can't recall how I was those days anymore
I'm learning how to be here and nowhere else
How to focus on what I can do myself


Yeah.  Totes.  I related to this in 2014.

Deleted Scenes - Lithium Burn


Here's another band that I didn't manage to discover until - in Deleted Scenes' case - their third album.  Where have I been?  I dunno, but I really love this album.  They even made a video for one of the songs that stars Screech from Saved by the Bell, a.k.a. Dustin Diamond.  And it took me until like a third of the way through the video to even realize it was him.  These guys are funky and weird and right up my alley.  Which is why I can't believe they escaped me for so long.  At least I'm in now.

White Murder - White Murder


This is a band from L.A. that my friend David turned me onto.  They're fun as hell and from the pics/videos I've seen, they put on an insanely fantastic live show.  I need to see them live one of these days, even though I'm such an old loser now that I never go to shows anymore.  Anyway.  They have a lyric that goes, "Hey Lady, Hey Lady, we're gonna eat your baby!"  And that pretty much sums up why this album is awesome.

Lucius - Wildewoman


Yeah.  I know this album didn't actually come out in 2014.  I think it came out in 2013.  But I didn't discover it until the beginning of 2014, so I'm including it here.  I put it at the end because I guess I'm kinda cheating.  But whatever.  I just, goddamn I just love this album.  It's so poppy and catchy that I'm absolutely shocked these ladies and gents have not BLOWN the hell up already, and I keep waiting for it to happen.  I keep waiting for the obnoxious day when it'll just be playing in every Starbucks across the land and every person I hate will profess their love for this.  I don't think it's happened quite yet, but I did hear it playing in Anthropologie the other day, which is always a clear sign of the coming apocalypse.  Starbucks can't be far behind.  Until then, I will keep this album all to myself and hoard it so no one else can touch it.  I'm very selfish that way.  O.k. yeah I am posting it here for the world to see, but no one reads this blog, so this is essentially no different than hiding it in my closet.

Stuff I Liked in 2014


Here's the stuff I liked in 2014, but didn't quite make the "love" list.

Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze


If I had written this blog post earlier in the year, Kurt Vile's latest probably would have made my "love" list.  And maybe it still should, but for some reason the second half of the album hasn't hit me quite as well on the most recent couple listens.  There could very well come a day when I'll want to move it back up the "love" list though; a lot of that depends on my mood.

Wild Beasts - Present Tense


I've been a fan of these guys since Two Dancers, which is still their best album.  On the first couple listens, I felt like this one was stronger in the first half than the second.  But on the most recent listen, it played well all the way through.  It's not mindblowing but it's a good time.  Lyric that I identified with hardcore this year:  "Don't confuse me with someone who gives a fuck."  I had a lot of "completely fed up" situations going on especially in the middle of the year, right when I bought this album.  So I was definitely rockin' it.

Saintseneca - Dark Arc


This is another one of those bands that I'm just waiting to hit the big time.  I can't tell if I might end up being annoyed by them later, but I quite like this album.  I had never heard of them before this and I haven't heard any of their earlier stuff.  There are several songs I LOVE on this and a lot of them I like.  My friend David (who clued me into this record) told me the other day, "I feel like this album is not mindblowing on its own, but it is the potential for what these guys can do in the future."  Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.  I rocked it pretty regularly in the second half of the year.

Jenny Lewis - The Voyager


I've got a real soft spot for Jenny Lewis.  I think she's exactly my age, so I tend to relate to a lot of her lyrics.  I have to admit that I wasn't as big of a fan of Rabbit Fur Coat as a lot of people were though.  I just couldn't quite get into the whole thing; it had high points and low points for me.  The Voyager plays more evenly, though I will admit that may be partly because it's less adventurous (pun not intended?).  It borders on feeling almost a little adult contemporary at times, but hey, we're getting old.  So, what are you gonna do?  I think this is a fun album.

Braid - No Coast


Hey, Braid reunited and made a new album!!  That's essentially all they need to do to make this list.  This album isn't gonna change your life, but it's a good listen and it's new Braid.  'Nuff said.

Minutes - Roland


Minutes are a solid band on Dischord that feature ex-members of other good bands, and that have put out a couple very good rock records in the past few years.  These guys are one of those kinds of bands whose albums I'll just buy before I even hear them because I trust that they'll be good.  And this one is.

Big Big Buildings - Full Color Pharmacy


Who the hell are these guys?  Or this guy?  I honestly have no clue.  It's another band that my friend David pointed me to (not even directly - I think just via a FB post), and I listened to them and dug them.  This album has a couple GREAT songs and the rest of the songs are pretty good.  I wish it had more great songs, but the couple it does have, I really enjoy.

Also one last quick honorable mention: Mastodon Once More 'Round the Sun - WAY better than The Hunter.  I don't really listen to The Hunter.  I will listen to Once More 'Round the Sun.

Stuff the Jury's Still Out On in 2014


Shellac - Dude Incredible


This album opens REALLY well.  As Shellac albums tend to do.  But I just bought it ... shit I guess it was October so it's been almost 3 months already.  I just haven't had the time to sit with it yet and listen to it all the way through enough times.  So far I think it's pretty good though.  We'll see.  I probably just jinxed it.

War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
 

If I had a penny for everyone who told me this is the best album of 2014, I'd have, well, at least 10 or 20 cents.  But that's a lot.  I just haven't gotten there with it yet.  Like Dude Incredible, I haven't had enough time to sit with this one yet.  On the first couple listens, it just feels very samey-same the whole way through.  Not dynamic at all.  Same tempo, same vibe, every song.  It's gonna take me several listens before I can hopefully get what everyone else is loving about it.  Slave Ambient was very easy to get into very quickly, and this one just ... isn't.  I'm gonna put in the effort to get there though.

Stuff That Disappointed Me in 2014


There's actually only one album I bought in 2014 that legit disappointed me, and that is ...

King Tuff - Black Moon Spell
 

Goddamnit!!  I HATE to say this, because I LOVE his self-titled album from 2012.  And I LOVE the first song on Black Moon Spell (the title track).  But I HATE when an album opens with its best song!!  It's unfortunately all downhill from that first song, and the album is too long.  I haven't had much time with this one either yet, so maybe it'll grow on me.  I just feel like I'm gonna keep rocking that first song and then get bored with it every time.  Argh.  I'll be waiting patiently for the next King Tuff album though.

So that's it.  That's my list.  I'm proud of myself for actually doing this for once.  We'll see if I can maintain it next year.  Don't hold your breath.  Oh and if by some miracle someone reads this, tell me what I missed in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment